Times have changed. Your requirements have changed. Your backup and recovery solution must change with it.
In my last blog two weeks ago, I described how times old fashioned backup products simply don’t match the current and future requirements organisations have. They are difficult to implement, hard to manage, lack functionalities and do not provide sufficient guarantee that your backups run, restores can be performed and recovery of data and production can be achieved within your SLAs. Backup and recovery for many, still is a difficult process in which you can hardly rely on the products you use to protect your data.
If data is the new oil and cloud, in which ever delivery model you use, is the standard, backup and recovery is a process that must be re-imagined. In todays state of business and with innovation accelerating at high speed, IT is a service “that just has to work”
For back up and recovery this means that they are a utility, meaning most people think they should “just work.” Restore speeds are KING. Users expect their data to be available, ultra fast and highly protected. With failures always happening at the most inconvenient times, we also need to ensure that we can offer services at any time and anywhere. Therefoer speed of service restoration is key, but, as many of us know, historically an afterthought. Disaster recovery plans can be invoked by unexpected things like hurricanes, flooding, loss of power, or the cleaning person plugging in the vacuum cleaner. And by now we must have realized that cyberattacks at a certain stage will affect us all….
Traditional backup technologies fail to meet current day expectations.
I know it’s harshly stated, but most tools out there just do not provide us what we need today and certainly for the next years. Struggling with backup and recovery processes that do not work well enough and do not match your SLAs while your teams are busy just keeping the lights on and daily firefighting, will not assist in transforming IT, supporting your business and accelerating growth.
Many of them offer different software modules, seperate hardware that is required that you have to source yourself and have somebody size for you. You end up buying more and more software and hardware while your requirements are not even achieved. We have seen backup success rates far, far below 90%. And who hasn’t had compliancy review which go on and on, because some of the vendors don’t even know how to correctly measure the licenses…. And let’s not even talk about adding cloud to your environment, of trying to automate things and provide enterprise wide security… And your teams keep on struggling with day to day tasks…
Therefore, like I concluded in my previous blog your modern data protection solutions must at least meet the following requirements:
- Ease of Use – reduce complexity and training time, fast and smooth implementation
- Just Works – backups are a utility on which you must be able to rely
- Default Auto-Protect of virtual machines
- Policy Driven Backups
- More Cost-Effective
- (Ultra) Fast Restore Times
- Intraday backups are a must
- DR Failover Process must be included
- Out of the box Reporting for Audit, Capacity, Planning and Forecasting
- Standard Integration with other tools, platforms, services (through APIs)
- Clear, logical pricing model
Having designed many enterprise backup and recovery solutions over the last 20 years, my teams have used Tivoli Storage Manager / Spectrum Protect and Veeam – king in the virtualization market – using many hardware platforms to run the software: x86 with Windows or Linux, Power Systems with AIX, disk, tape, SSD storage. We have replaced so many Veritas, Commvault, HPE Data Protector and Arcserve environments, trying to increase service levels for those clients. We have built highly advanced monitoring and complete managed services to increase backup succes rates, guarantee recoverability and reduce cost. Many of these services are a highly expensive addition to the high costs of buying, implementing and owning backup and recovery products. Most of them are designed to cover up the failing backup products installed. Many of your partners actually like the complexity of the products as it delivers them an attractive business model and they must ensure their service agents are busy and billable. But guess what, they still just don’t work well enough and the services is in many occassions not underlined with a proper service delivery model and they do not succeed to guarantee your data protection and recoverability. And if they do: they come with a very high price!
Looking at todays market you’ll see your traditional backup vendors, IBM, Veritas, Veeam, Dell EMC and Commvault struggling to re-design their products for the era of data and multi cloud. New players like Rubrik and Cohesity have built new solutions from scratch that are born in this new era. But why is Veeam not a modern day backup provider? You’d imagine they would tick a lot of the boxes looking at the list of requirements. But it’s a software only product, meaning you still need someone to design the infrastructure on which it runs, resulting in complexity, training time and hidden costs. In addition, at many client situations we have seen that the software seems much simpler than some other vendors, but there is a hidden level of complexity as your environment grows!
During the last year I have seen Rubrik’s Cloud Data Management Platform becoming the visionary and disruptive solution for modern backup and recovery. Designed from the core to re-imagine the way you protect and recover your data, Rubrik Cloud Data Management offers you that radically different customer experience. Yes, like the name indicates, it is a data management for the Cloud Era. And YES…. it JUST WORKS!
Rubrik Cloud Data Management is a single, unified software platform to manage your physical, virtual, and cloud data. With Rubrik, enterprises can drastically simplify their data protection processes, automate workflows, and migrate data to the cloud.
The results are powerful: faster recoveries, easier management, no forklift upgrades, and hard dollars saved for other projects. Organizations pursuing cloudfirst policies can use Rubrik to archive to the cloud, create cloud DR capabilities, or perform cloud-native backup. And with Rubrik’s Polaris SaaS platform, it has never been easier to unify data across data centers and clouds, simplifying operations and governance.
When we were setting up the strategy for Proficiency, we had the chance to re-imagine the solutions and vendors we use to offer our clients the best solutions and services out there. We decided to make choices in what our portfolio should look like. Not a solution set underpinned with as many vendors we could possible sign up, but one, perhaps two products to provide the best solution for our prospective clients. Looking at what we offer to our clients are solytions and services in the area of Data Centric Architectures, Multi Cloud Infrastructure, Data Protection & Security & IT Resilience. With a strong focus on specific innovation areas such as AI, Multi Cloud, Machine Learning, Digital Core we have outlined four key fundamental principles on which we have built the portfolio on solutions that are:
- Smart & Intelligent
- New age & Future proof.
- Reliable & UltraFast
- Provide Simplicity & Effortless operations
Think Pure Storage for all flash storage and more think IBM Cloud for enterprise AI driven public, hybrid and virtual private cloud resources, think PostgresPure for enterprise open source database environments, think IBM Power9 for AI / ML / Big Data / Analytics workloads combined with Pure Storage in our factory integrated PurePowerStack platforms. But also at our core Rubrik Cloud Data Management.
Where Pure Storage let’s you re-imagine how you serve data to your business applications, Rubrik let’s us re-define how Proficiency offers backup and recovery solutions and services to our clients.
A Rubrik solution is up and running within an hour, making time to protection very short. All hardware, software, functionalities are included. You can protect and recover on premise, off premise data, physical, virtual, Windows, Linux, AIX, Office365, Azure, IBM Cloud, AWS etcetera out of the box.
So why we chose Rubrik Cloud Data Management to build our solutions and services on?
Looking at the requirements, Rubrik is best in market ticking all the boxes looking at the requirements we mentioned earlier.
- Ease of Use – Rubrik offers plug and play system setup. Integrated platform of hardware and software with all functionality included. The platform offers full automation, automatic data discovery, APIs, multi cloud data protection, instant recovery, minutes per day management in stead of hours. With Google-like search, Rubrik eliminates the ﬁle
search complexity inherent in legacy solutions by introducing consumer-grade
ﬁle search that delivers query results instantly.
- Just Works – With automation, auto discovery, flash speed data ingestion, use of APIs, integrated hardware and software, easy GUI, standardized SLAs, it truely just works! Rubrik eliminates daily operational management with a single policy engine and programmatic interface that automates how data services are created, consumed, and retired across cloud.
- Default Auto-Protect of virtual machines and data so you can ingest data and virtual machines on the go, easy and standardized.
- Policy Driven Backups are the basis of how Rubrik works. You just set the rules and data and vms will automatically be protected on those policies.
- More Cost-Effective due to integrated hardware and software pricing, including technology refresh in maintenance pricing, upgradability, ease of install and use, incremental forever, deduplicatio and compression, tiering of data on HDD and SDD, offloading to object storage and cloud object storage.
- (Ultra) Fast Restore Times because data is always kept on flash and or disk, highly reduced in footprint, instant recovery for VMs, Oracle and SQL database, incremental forever design
- Intraday backups are standard. Why backup once a day and not every hour or 15 minutes. The standardized SLAs hold all RTO and RPO policies and are applicable for all systems, apps, databases in that SLA group.
- DR Failover Process is included. Instant recovery, recover anywhere, in the cloud, on premises, whatever cloud. Just recover your vm and turn it on!
- Out of the box Reporting Rubrik unlocks actionable insights across the hybrid cloud with customized visual reporting. Provides platform analytics across your entire environment on operational efficiency, compliance, and capacity utilization. Create and share rich data visualizations to drive business acceleration at scale.
- Standard Integration. Rubrik is API driven and has many APIs to connect to ServiceNow, Puppet, vRealize, vCloudDirector and many other applications. Rubrik is a vendor-agnostic platform with the ability to support any third-party ecosystem technology by building additional modules to the integration layer. This layer exposes the API set for building custom integration points into applications, hypervisors, containers, and protocols.
- Clear, logical pricing model which includes hardware and software in one appliance. All commonly used software is included. Expanding the environment just means you add nodes.
And then there’s security…..
The Rubrik platform takes a multidimensional approach coupling data plane security with management plane security from creation to expiration across hybrid cloud environments.
Data in-ﬂight and at-rest in the cloud utilizes military-grade AES 256-bit (FIPS 140-2 validated) encryption. Rubrik leverages client-side encryption libraries supported by public cloud providers and all archived data undergoes envelope encryption. Rubrik has built one of the industry’s most comprehensive portfolio of government certifications and accreditations across the hybrid cloud, including Common Criteria EAL2+, Department of Defense, and Information Network APL.
Rubrik secures all data through the following methods:
• Role-based access control: Granular control over user access is deﬁned at a platform level, regardless of location. Rubrik’s software provides self-service access, empowering users to perform their own backups, restores, and archival without impacting production.
• End-to-end encryption: Data is secured with HDD and SSD encryption with the r528 appliance and from the source to target location whether at-rest or in-transit, on-prem or in the cloud. Rubrik also supports software-based encryption at rest on all the r6000 appliances. All data is encrypted before leaving the appliance for the cloud.
• Centralized compliance reporting: Track whether backup, replication and archival jobs are successful and meet the deﬁned policy with automated compliance reporting.
• Flexible key management: Protect cryptographic keys with an internal key manager with the embedded Trusted Platform Modules (TPMs) or use a KMIP-compliant
external key management solution.
• Fast Recovery: Protect from physical and cyber breaches by reverting to a point-intime snapshot. Rubrik natively captures all application data in an immutable format.
Our users have recovered from ransomware attacks and resumed operations in under an hour with zero data lost due to our effective data management solution. See Native Immutability for Ransomware Recovery for Rubrik’s approach to safeguard against a ransomware attack.
So, rounding up, it is quite obvious why we chose Rubrik as our Backup & Recovery technology Partner. Not just because it is better, easier, faster and more secure. But also because it just works! See it, try it, believe it.