The benefits of multi-cloud business continuity
Last week I wrote how easy and attractive it is for IBM Storwize V7000 and IBM Spectrum Virtualize based solutions to Transparentlty Tier data to the cloud. I also wrote about re-imagining backup and recovery using Rubrik Cloud Data Management. There is a huge opportunity for organisations to implement a data driven multi cloud architecture and use the cloud for disaster recovery.
A Data Driven Multi-Cloud Architecture is:
- Data Portability between Private & Public Clouds
- Secure and Compliant
- High ROI Use Cases
- Service Level Driven
- Software Defined and Flash Optimized
- Modern Backup and Replication
- API Automation
- Native DevOps Capable
- Self Service
Today, let’s discuss the new IBM FlashSystem 9100 solution for Business Continuity and Data Reuse which helps provide a number of important benefits to data-driven enterprises seeking to leverage a multi-cloud architecture to enhance system availability and business resilience, including:
- More value from data assets and greater productivity from business applications and staff thanks to the performance and efficiency of NVMe-optimized flash storage
- Lowered costs by storing fewer data copies on valuable, high-performance flash
- Near-zero RPO/RTO thanks to real-time replication capabilities
- Optimized and highly available extension of existing workloads from on-premises data centers to IBM Cloud data
- Minimized capital outlays for cloud-based business continuity
- Faster, easier and more efficient reuse of data assets thanks to the combination of ultra-low latency storage and highly functional IBM Spectrum Copy Data Management
- More multi-cloud data reuse and protection alternatives, thanks to the synergies between IBM Spectrum Virtualize, IBM Spectrum Copy Data Management and IBM Spectrum Virtualize for Public Cloud
Implementing IBM FS9100 solution for Business Continuity and Data Reuse means you boost the performance of your internal IT processes. With latency as low as 100 microseconds your existing IT landscape will benefit greatly from this ingestion with pure speed! Faster analytics, faster databases, faster applications, better user experience, no more IO bottlenecks, ease of use, ease of mind. Your internal users will see all of their applications and databases perform much faster, which results in a higher customer satisfaction. And with FS9100 built for 99,9999% availability you will implement a storage infrastructure that just works and is always as fast as required. Resulting in a cloud like experience. But: much faster!
What you also achieve is that you will have set up a hybrid cloud storage infrastructure where you keep hot and warm data on site, while you offload copy data to the IBM Cloud for disaster recovery, dev/test and data protection.
In IBM Cloud you just rent the bare metal servers to run Spectrum Virtualize for Public Cloud and you rent the block storage capacity. If you want to be able to recover your VMs, you also rent some server capacity for you to install Vmware & Vmware Site Recovery Manager (for automation of DR). Offcourse you also setup networking and firewalls to securely connect the cloud to your internal network.
This means that using this very easy and fast setup you cannot only offload data to the cloud but you can also setup your DR to the cloud. Using baremetal servers with VMware you can build and extend your internal VMWare environment to the cloud while ensuring you achieve maximum performance internally.
So, choosing for the IBM FlashSystem 9100 solution for business continuity and data reuse means you:
- Boost the performance of your existing internal IT environment
- Implement a hybrid storage environment with flash storage internally and DR / Test / Dev / QA / Production resources on IBM Cloud
- Can tier data from internal to external resources and vice versa
- Benefit from cloud scalability and flexibility
- Increase overall performance and availability
- Lower TCO
- Get ease of use and ease of mind
- Overall support from IBM for internal and external resources
- Ability to extend your VMware, SAP, Microsoft, Oracle environments to the cloud
- Kickstart your innovation projects
The IBM FlashSystem 9100 at a glance
The FS9100 is a NVMe accelerated enterprise Flash array with AI empowered management and support, Multi-cloud enabled. IBM is the first to combine high performance and efficiency, extensive multi-cloud capabilities, along with modern management and support in an economically attractive offering. Easily extend data to public cloud as business demands. IBM FlashSystem 9100 delivers NVMe storage integrated with IBM Spectrum Virtualize™️, IBM FlashCore®️ technologies and multi-cloud data management. Scale to PB’s in a very small footprint due to enhanced decuplication and compression functions.
IBM FlashSystem 9100 offers the unique advantages of IBM FlashCore technology deeply integrated with IBM Spectrum Storage™ solutions, including Spectrum Virtualize, Storage Insights, Spectrum Connect, and Multi-Cloud starter solutions with Spectrum Protect™️ Plus, Spectrum Copy Data Management, and IBM Spectrum Virtualize for Public Cloud. These members of the IBM Spectrum Storage family come as standard components on every IBM FlashSystem 9100 array, while additional multi-cloud solutions can easily be added.
- Performance: Massive IOPS coupled with extremely low latency with NVMe optimized technology. Easy tier and high-speed hardware compression all help to deliver greater performance.
- Resiliency: Remote mirror and HyperSwap for high availability configurations. FlashCore technology for greater flash endurance; Ensure continuous operations, data protection and data security.
- Capacity: Deploy petabytes of storage in a two rack-unit high (2U) physical chassis | Consolidates different storage, with 440 arrays supported.
- Efficiency: Virtualization combined with Data Reduction Pools (DRP) simplify management and optimize utilization. FlashCore Modules provide high performance hardware compression and are self-encrypting.
- Package of guarantees, upgrade programs and extended support options that IBM refers to as ‘Peace of Mind’.
- Non-disruptive infrastructure modernization based on the capabilities of storage virtualization.
- Enterprise class support with IBM install and 24×7 enhanced support.
IBM FlashSystem 9100 pricing
IBM FlashSystem 9100 is offered in two basic models—IBM FlashSystem 9110 and IBM FlashSystem 9150. Both solutions feature dual controller canisters, dual power supplies and
redundant cooling. Both models have two Intel Skylake CPUs per controller canister, with IBM FlashSystem 9110 offering eight cores per CPU while the 9150 model comes with 14 cores per
CPU. Up to 768 GB of memory can be configured per controller, so that in a single 2U storage array you can leverage the performance and efficiency of more than a terabyte of memory and
multiple petabytes of storage, all moving at NVMe speeds, to tackle even the most demanding real-time analytics or AI application workloads.
A spectrum of multi-cloud and container capabilities IBM FlashSystem 9100 offers the unique advantages of IBM FlashCore technology deeply integrated with the software-defined capabilities of IBM Spectrum Storage solutions, including IBM Spectrum Virtualize, Storage Insights, IBM Spectrum Protect Plus Multi-Cloud starter for IBM FlashSystem 9100, IBM Spectrum Copy Data Management Multi-Cloud starter for IBM FlashSystem 9100, IBM Spectrum Virtualize for Public Cloud Multi-Cloud starter for IBM FlashSystem 9100, and IBM Spectrum Connect.
These six members of the IBM Spectrum Storage family come as standard components on every IBM FlashSystem 9100 array, while additional IBM FlashSystem 9100 multi-cloud solutions can easily be added either at the time of purchase or as a future upgrade.
As an example: two IBM FS9110 systems with 150TB usable capacity (based on 5:1 datareduction) per system can be purchased for approx euro 200.000 excluding V.A.T.
This indicative price also includes 3 years of hardware and software maintenance. These systems provide as low as 100 microseconds latency, up to 2.500.000 IOPs en up to 34GB/s throughput….